25 January 2011

Big Girl Room in the making……

I think it’s safe to say that I’ve been planning the Lil’ Princess’ big girl room in my mind since she was about 6 months old.  I’ve actually been working on it for the last 2 months or so.  It’s taking me awhile to get it all done, but the end is now in sight.  Last Thursday I finally got a project done that I’ve had bookmarked since I saw it.

Go check out this book sling tutorial over at Penny Carnival.  Aren’t they just the coolest, cutest thing ever.  I thought so, and I fell in love when I stumbled upon them one day.  I knew I had the perfect place in the soon-to-be big girl room.


Believe it or not, they were so easy to make.  I think sewing on the rick-rack and making the appliques took longer than getting the sling itself put together. 


I found my double curtain rod hardware at Ikea.  They came in a 2 pack for $3.99!!  I found the dowel rods at our local hardware store for a mere $0.89 each.  Also, I picked up 1 1/2 yards of pink fabric for $3.50.  I actually only ended up using 1 yard of fabric and lined the sling with white fabric from the sheet I picked up from Goodwill for $2.13.  I already had the fabric for the "A" and "Z" in my stash along with the rick-rack.  All in all this project has cost me about $15.00 to complete so far.

I really want to find some cute little knobs to go on the ends of the dowels and paint them, but I couldn't wait to go ahead and get them up.


They actually hold a lot of books.  I was a little surprised that I could get as many in them as I did.  The lil' princess has already checked them out and they managed to stay up despite her pulling on them, so I think we're good.


You can probably tell, but I went for a pink and green theme for her room.  I found a super cute ladybug fabric forever ago and made her that quilt hanging on the chair.  The quilt is actually for her pallet bed that I'm also slowly getting done.  I have all my hardware for it & I've gotten it cut to the proper size, but I still have to get it sanded and painted.

Also, remember the sheet I picked up at Goodwill?  Here are the curtains that I made for the long window.


There is also a smaller window in this room that I have a curtain for.  Yes, I was able to make all these curtains and line the book slings for $2.13!!  Now that's what I call a deal.

I can't wait to share the finished project with you soon.  I still have several projects in this room to finish, but I'll keep you updated!






Linking up at these uber cool sites:







Today's Creative Blog





3 comments:

Chiara said...

GENIOUS! These are so cute and practical! You did a great job. I was an elementary school teacher for 9 years, and I would have LOVED them for my classroom. Thank you for sharing this awesome idea!

Kim @ seven thirty three said...

Loving this idea! I'm going to have to add this to my to-do list!

nila1920 said...

cuuuute! came out really nice!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...